The World Bank reported in 2002 that an estimated 70% of Dar es Salaam’s population lives in poor,
unplanned settlements. About 75% of those living in informal housing settlements are unemployed or
underemployed, who depend on informal activities and micro-enterprise to earn a living, which leads
them to live on an average income of 1 USD per day. The above economic situation hurts the life of the
female students, especially during their menses. This is because commercial sanitary pads are not easily
accessible to most of them as the price ranges from 2,000/= to 3,500/= (1.3-2.3 USD) for a packet of 8-10
pieces. The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) estimates that 1 in
10 adolescent girls in Africa misses school because of menstruation and eventually drop out due to
menstrual related issues. Providing pads to young girls either for free or for a subsidized price is a key
way to keep girls in school.
Our solution is to produce sanitary dispensing machines known as Bela vendors placed/installed within
the social environment (Female bathrooms) to offer women a hygienic self-service but also convenient
during emergencies and unexpected situations.
The pads that are being sold through the Bela vendor are affordable in price and convenient as one can
only buy anytime when needed can just purchase a single pad instead of the entire packet. Through this
innovation, women can focus and budget well on their daily/monthly expenses.
● To be the leading hygiene solution in Tanzania
● To provide a convenient, hygienic, affordable, reliable mechanical and digital solution.
● Tackles hygiene and sanitation problems that the majority of the females face and be the high demanded Brand in Tanzania and Africa.
● Our main objective is to produce sanitary pad dispensers and provide education on menstrual hygiene management.
Bela offers the following services: -
● Supply of the Vending Machines(Sanitary pads dispensers)
● Installation of the Machines/dispensers
● Maintenance of the Machine/dispensers
● Operation of the Machines/dispensers
b) Better Income
d) Big market and awarness
e) Better brand competition
f) Real-time Tracking
g) Online Data
a) Convenient (on demand)
c) Multiple products options
d) Cashless & coin acceptance
e) Real-time tracking
i) Easy Access
Bela Vendor's initial investment and endorsement came from the US Embassy but we still need your help to reach more Schools.
Subscribe to the BelaVendor newsletter to receive exclusive content, offers and discounts!